They’ll brighten any home or office, but houseplants can also improve our health in a variety of ways! Research suggests that the aesthetic of vegetation or garden-like features will calm the sympathetic nerve system and encourage positive feelings. The addition of indoor plants to a room has also been proven to improve the air quality, increase concentration and help with loneliness (caring for a living thing gives us a purpose and is rewarding — especially when you see that living thing bloom and thrive!) For these very reasons, we’ve decided to select our top 5 tropical houseplants to de-stress your home.
- Purple Heart Dracena: The purple edges of this plant will add a pop of colour to your space, but also has been known to improve anxiety and filter out air toxins like xylene, trichloroethelene and formaldehyde. Purple Heart Dracena grow slowly, but tall and as high as 15 feet. Pick a room with a higher ceiling and moderate sunlight for this little beauty. Now available in 4″ varieties, regular $4.99.
- Snake Plant: Most people would agree that there isn’t much that beats a good night’s sleep. Snake plants are proven to release oxygen at night, keep temperatures low and improve air quality; creating a more comfortable, cool environment for a long night’s sleep. Not to mention, they’re extremely low maintenance and a popular choice for apartments as they require minimal indirect light. These tropical favourites are available in 4″ Birdsnest Green and Variegated Green for $6.99 or 6″ Green and Futura Robusta, regular $12.99.
- Golden Pothos: Also known as ‘Devil’s Ivy’ because it’s impervious to death, (it literally stays green even if you put it in the dark!) Golden Pothos is a fast growing vine that filters formaldehyde from the air, making it a great addition to a fume-filled space like a garage. Pothos enjoy bright, indirect light but can handle a dimly lit corner too. This easy to grow, leafy tropical isn’t a suitable choice if you have pets as it has compounds toxic to small animals – or ensure you tuck it away in a difficult to reach area. Available an 8″ hanging basket, regular $16.99.
- Ferns: Looking to increase air humidity? Try adding a frilly green beauty such as a Boston Fern or Sprengeri Fern. These houseplants will add a boost of moisture to your air and a unique texture to your aesthetic. Remember that a fern’s soil should remain wet, but never soggy, and put in a spot with indirect light.
- Spider Plant: A popular choice on the easy-to-care-for list, Spider Plants are extremely tolerant and have the ability to rapidly propagate. Spider Plants are also fantastic at fighting off air pollutants, absorbing traces of formaldehyde and carbon monoxide. Available in different cultivars including a 4″ Variegated for $4.99. and 8″ Variegated Spider Plant, regular $16.99.
Shop our full collection of tropicals on our Online Store – new stock arriving weekly!